One thing we see often at Whitetail Home Inspections, is extension cords ran all around the house-due to a lack of permanent outlets. Especially in older homes, the number of outlets installed in houses don’t represent the electrical needs for the 21st Century. Homeowners think, “No outlets in the garage? No available outlet for the new dishwasher? No Problem, I’ll just run an extension cord!” Extension cords are meant for short term use and should never to be used as permanent wiring, they are not rated for this long-term use. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), electrical equipment, such as extension cords, were the second leading cause of fire deaths in the U.S. between 1994 and 1998. Those numbers show how dangerous this practice can be. Still we see extension cords being used every day, and home-owners are completely oblivious to the dangers.

If you are running into this issue, don’t run out and purchase additional extension cords. Instead of putting your home at greater risk for a fire, I would recommend having additional outlets installed by a licensed electrician. It may not be as expensive as you think.  I hope this information helps to keep your family safe this summer!
Matt Minard

Whitetail Home Inspections